Our patience has been rewarded. The first batch of 27 film submissions to the California Revealed digitization grant have finally been published and are available online.
First and Foremost, it includes a complete full length edition of the classic CDF produced film, “Countdown To Calamity” scanned from a 1970s era negative and original optical soundtrack we discovered in the vaults at Technicolor film labs last year. Our collection also includes…
- A full length original version from the negative of “Campaign Fire” narrated by Division of Forestry Director Dewitt Nelson (B/W, sound 1950)
- The CDF documentary-style film “Air Attack” (1974)
- A 1962 training film on the best use of “Air Tankers and Forest Fires”
- A 1961 CDF training film for “Using Helicopters Safely” (color, sound)
- A 1952 film on the various duties and responsibilities of the Division of Forestry, “Wildlands of California” (color, sound)
- Dramatized fire prevention messages:
“What It Takes” (B/W, sound 1960) ,
“Forest Patrol – the Woman’s Angle” (B/W, sound 1959), and
“The Right Way” (B/W, sound 1962)
- A “Preview Reel” of 1967 Public Relations messages featuring CDF Mascots Sniff & Snuff – “the Super Firesafe Snoopers”, introduced by Director Francis Raymond. and two 1970 Sniff & Snuff movie theater trailers. (color, sound 1967/70)
- A 1969 conservation message from Governor Ronald Reagan on water clarity in “Lake Tahoe: Today and Tomorrow”
- A reel of several short TV spots for the 1970s era “Ecology Corps”
- Three features on early automatic weather stations including A NASA produced news piece on using satellite linked, automatic weather stations for fire predictions. (1973-75)
- Silent color footage of CDF Firefighters in action at Ramona Southern District Training Center in 1959, Fire Truck 4WD course near Sutter Hill in the 1960s, scenes from the Forest Fire Truck Driver course at Ramona in 1965 and Ione academy fireground training footage from 1971.
- Silent color footage of CDF Firefighters in action at 1980 Panorama fire BDU, the 1964 AEU Clinton fire, 1960 Homestake Mine fire in Auburn, 1968 Redding Air Base operations and fire camp
- Silent color footage of Academy staff touring a Kern County oil FF training ground and demonstrating the “unimog” concept vehicle on the Ione 4WD course. (color silent 1969)
- Silent color footage of the “Picnic Day Parade” in Davis, CA, 1960.
- and a bonus reel of really vintage CDF film from various years 1948-64.